When someone or something triggers you take a moment to write in your journal about who or what the person or experience reminds you of from the past. Then process the information in the following way.
1. Identify what your are associating the incident with from the past.
2. Call someone you trust to discuss it.
3. Write in your journal about it.
4. Feel the pain without self-medicating.
5. Forgive if it is a person—not necessarily all at once.
6. Let go of the resentment.
7. Accept the situation as best you can.
8. Move on to the adventure of life.
What people typically do when triggered, depending on their personality.
1. Take it personally and blame themselves.
2. Feel ashamed or embarrassed for reacting.
3. Suppress their feelings.
4. Pass their feelings on to an innocent bystander.
5. Get angry and rage at someone.
6. Do something self-destructive like taking a drink or binging on food.
7. Retaliate and get in trouble.
8. Let it turn into a huge resentment.
The correct response is to stay calm, stand up for yourself, walk away and then process your feelings.
As my sponsor says, Pause.....Pray..... Process..... Proceed. Sometimes I need quite a while between processing and proceeding. All the Ps, reminds me of the slightly crude saying that holding onto a resentment is like peeing down my own leg..... take what you like and leave the rest.